19 August 2021

suffering-focused population ethics (term paper)

During my first semester of studying philosophy at the University of Zurich, I attended a seminar titled "Ethics of the Future", which was run by Stefan Riedener. He introduced us to many fascinating and important topics, including Derek Parfit's pioneering work on population ethics. I decided to write a term paper on the Repugnant Conclusion from a suffering-focused perspective during the subsequent semester.

Please note that considerations re moral uncertainty and cooperation (among other things) keep me from embracing courses of action that the vast majority of my contemporaries deem extremely immoral.

If it had not been for David Pearce's comment that "it deserves to be a public resource on the Net so it can be linked/cited", I would be (even) more hesitant on sharing this publicly, but here go you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

powerful quotes I keep contemplating

last updated: 7 January 2023 The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? ~ Jeremy Bentham (in An Introdu...